Title: Cruel Beauty
Author: Rosamund Hodge
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Re-tellings (Beauty and the Beast)
Description (Source: Amazon):
Betrothed to the evil ruler of her kingdom, Nyx has always known that her fate was to marry him, kill him, and free her people from his tyranny. But on her seventeenth birthday when she moves into his castle high on the kingdom’s mountaintop, nothing is what she expected—particularly her charming and beguiling new husband. Nyx knows she must save her homeland at all costs, yet she can’t resist the pull of her sworn enemy—who’s gotten in her way by stealing her heart.”
I have been on a Beauty and the Beast retelling binge lately. I’m going to be honest, I picked this one for the beautiful cover. I mean, just look at it! 😍😍😍
This was an okay read for me. The story was entertaining, but not remarkable. I found myself not really caring what happened to the characters, but finishing out of curiosity. I honestly don’t even care enough to write a full review, so I’ll just add the high (and low) lights.
What I liked:
– Nyx’s sassy attitude. I like that she didn’t roll over in the face of conflict with Ignifex.
– Like I said above, it was a fairly entertaining read. It did slow for a few points in the middle, but for the most part the story moved quick, which made for a fast read.
What I didn’t like:
– Without giving too many spoilers, it kind of had a love triangle. Blegh.
– The ending felt rushed and confusing.
– Nyx’s relationship with her family was annoying. The way she couldn’t make up her mind really grated at my nerves. Actually, her indecision in general really bothered me.
– The romance itself was meh. It felt like a lot of the novel focused on it, but I still didn’t feel any sparks or connection between Nyx, Ignifex, or Shade.
– It was okay. I think there are a lot better retellings out there though. I’m still probably going to read the next book in the series though, since I already bought it, lol.